I had an interesting experience with Feeds and Feeds Tamper today. I wasn’t able to get a comma-separated set of words to turn into multiple tags no matter what I tried. I was using the Explode plugin that comes with Feeds Tamper and set the delimiter as a comma and the limit to 1. My research indicated this should work, but it didn’t.
There were two problems that were so counterintuitive, the urge to blog about them came over me. Disclaimer: I admit I’ve never properly read the Feeds documentation; I figured setting up a node importer based off a CSV parser would be pretty easy.
The solution is extremely simple:
When setting up your CSV importer and specifying Source column names, do not use spaces or uppercase letters. This means you need to avoid it in your CSV file as well.
That’s all! Instead of Body Text, call it body_text. What happens is that by the time Feeds Tamper receives your Feeds field, the data structure it uses to store them contains lowercase (and probably space-free) versions of whatever you had as the Source column names back in your updater. Using my tip ensures that these will be the same, and Feeds Tamper will be happy.
Have fun tampering.
P.S. The Latin in the title hopefully means, “Developer beware.”